Page banner image

Re: strange trailhead hazard

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Mud Pit ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Zonie on March 13, 2024 at 07:57:49

In Reply to: Re: strange trailhead hazard posted by LeviLovR on March 12, 2024 at 13:37:55:

Nothing wrong with laughing. It IS funny. I comfort myself with the thought that most hikers would have kept their mobile phones with them and could call 911 while trapped in the toilet, as they weren't planning to wallow in mud and didn't leave their phones in the glove box, as I had. Still, I do worry that the wake-up call to the city authorities on the hazards of this type of lavatory design will be finding someone dead of heat stroke in the lavatory in the summer.

My mountain climbing partner has dementia. He's 86 now. He asked me once if I thought he'd be doing this when he's 90. I said, "I think you will. You may not remember who I am, but I think you'll still be climbing." He laughed.

I once had to do a welfare check from across the country. Back in 1994 and 1995 I worked with a lady when we lived in Austin, and after the place closed down, we still kept in touch by mail and telephone. She moved to Raleigh, and I moved back to Phoenix. Many years later she had been having medical problems, and I hadn't heard from her in a long time, and she didn't answer her phone. She lived alone, and I worried she might be helpless in her apartment.

I wasn't sure how to check on her. I knew dialing 911 would just get me the Phoenix Police, and they couldn't help me about someone who was in Raleigh. I looked up the non-emergency telephone number of the Raleigh Police, and I managed to get through and have it investigated. It turned out she was in a nursing home and had forgotten to call me to tell me about it.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Mud Pit ] [ FAQ ]