Page banner image

Re: A Dirty Shame

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Mud Pit ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by LeviLovR on September 22, 2023 at 15:31:25

In Reply to: Re: A Dirty Shame posted by Mudman on September 22, 2023 at 14:09:41:

You know, it's very strange. As you are aware I've been attending this event for a long time and there have been good years and bad years but never anything quite like this. I've watched it evolve, peak and gradually dwindle and decay. Sad because it was always such a great event. Unfortunately this year I did not hear one single happy person. What really struck me was a comment made by my friend Steve's wife. Steve is in charge of the chain gang and is actually on the committee and has put a lot of time and effort into trying to make some changes and improvements, with mixed results. He absolutely loves mud bowl and is totally devoted to it. So I was surprised when Jodi (his wife) told me that he seemed disappointed and lacked enthusiasm this year, an d that he had never felt that way about it before. The pall in the air this year was palpable.

I have been so blessed to have been a part of Mud Bowl back in its glory days and to have been able to actually perform in the mud at half times. I still can't believe that first innocent jump in the mud in my clothes would mushroom into something I never expected - interviews with television stations, photos in papers and magazines and a small degree of fame. It wasn't planned, I didn't ask for it, but the people running the show were very receptive to me and my friend Tony and we were actually told by many spectators that the reason they came to the games was just to see us. How crazy is that?!! There used to be a spirit of fun. Team players were all friends with players on opposing teams and there was a friendly rivalry and atmosphere. But an unfortunate event resulted in a law suit that forced the original founders to have no further association with the event. Some really good people stepped in to take their place, but over time they left too and the spirit that was Mud Bowl has died and it has become basically a way to make money. Unfortunately crowds that used to attend no longer do so because that sense of uniqueness, fun and joy are gone and it is so evident to everyone - but especially to those of us who knew it "back when."

Things are at a crucial turning point. I do think the people who are currently running things are ready to pass it off to someone else. They've done it for a lot of years and put in a tremendous amount of time and effort, for which they should be commended, but some of the decisions made have been pretty poor. The big question is who will pick up the ball and run with it. They might be better, they might be worse!

I am sorry you never got to see it at its best. You would have loved it. But who knows you may get there yet. I hope you do. But over all many events, like mud volleyball, are gradually getting less and less popular and for a variety of reasons.
Hopefully there will be a revival and we will both live to see it.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Mud Pit ] [ FAQ ]