Page banner image

The Best Day In The Mud!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Mud Pit ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by LeviLovR on July 09, 2023 at 13:36:10

Attended the 4 x 4 Proving Grounds mud run yesterday in Lebanon, Maine. It was a total blast!

When I arrived I noticed there were not many cars in the parking area and absolutely no one waiting in line to purchase tickets. Strange. I commented on it to the guy who took my money and he assured me that it had been steady but he somehow lacked enthusiasm and I don't think he was being totally honest. I had arrived earlier than I usually do so figured others would be coming later.

So I immediately headed to the bog area which was also deserted with zero activity. Hmmm. Definitely unusual but I blamed it on the fact people were getting ready for the parade. Even though the Fourth of July was a few days ago a patriotic parade was planned and all drivers were encouraged to decorate their vehicles and participate. The parade was to be held in the main arena on the track and I passed some people getting ready on my way to the bog. Finally they announced a five minute time frame until the opening ceremonies and the start of the parade. I had been sitting on an old stump in the shade near the bog and when they made the announcement I got up and mosied on over to watch. It was a hot day so I selected a spot in the shade of some trees right next to the entrance gate to the arena. Sadly there were not many vehicles participating in the parade but those participating showed lots of spirit! Everything was covered with red, white and blue flags and bunting and some imaginative and creative ideas were on display. They circled the track a couple of times and then judging began. Prizes were awarded and judging was based on the applause of the spectators. The ones I liked won.

Enter Dave. I should mention I was wearing black cowboy boots, belt and hat; an older pair of 501s, a long sleeve uniform shirt left over from my days working at the post office, and a black leather tie. I also had a Levi jean jacket with me which I had placed on the ground under one of the trees along with my bottle of water. So Dave was a photographer snapping pictures of all the parade participants. I didn't really think much about it until I saw him snapping a picture of me. He said he had to get me because of the way I was dressed, particularly the tie and that I must be hot. "I won't be much longer," I replied. Of course I was referring to the fact I planned to jump in the mud and cool off but Dave thought I was planning to take the tie off. With the parade over we went our separate ways.

I returned to my stump by the bog and could see Dave walking through the area snapping pictures. At that time we really didn't know anything about each other. I was waiting for people to come and go through the bog but no one came and it was totally dead. What the heck? I just couldn't figure it out. Eventually Dave spotted me and walked over. He wanted some pictures of me sitting on the stump. We introduced ourselves and started a conversation. Turns out Dave is doing a documentary on the people who attend mud runs, their attitude and culture and what they are really like verses the image they portray. He eventually plans to write a book.So when Dave was done taking me of me on the stump I said to him, "Do you want some pictures of me in the mud?" The look on his face was priceless! "What? You'll go in the mud? Sure!"

Dave also commented about the lack of activity at the bog as he was hoping for some shots but it did provide a good opportunity for our photo shoot with no worries about having to watch out for vehicles plowing through. I put on my jean jacket, waded out into the mud and did "my thing" with Dave snapping away all the time. I did all my "tricks" until I was covered from head to toe. The mud was more watery than I prefer but there were a few areas where it more the consistency I prefer. And it was very warm! It cooled me off some but really wasn't all that refreshing.

Then I asked Dave if he wanted to accompany me to the wash area and get some pictures of me getting hosed down. He sure did! So we started walking over and I was getting looks and comments and thumbs up from people. Then this one young man runs over all excited and tells me I'm his hero. Dave takes a picture of us. Then his friends join us and Dave takes pictures of the whole group. We then proceed to the wash area.

When we get there I go to pick up one of the hoses but the pump is not running and one of the event staff members tells me to go down to the river, which is just a short walk down through the trees. I had never been there before as I had also rinsed off with the hose. So we got another surprise! At the river there were about ten young people in the water - three fully clothed, two women and a man. They had on jeans and tank tops while the others had on shorts and bathing suits. I asked if I could join them and they said to come on in. So this turned out to be an even better photo opp for Dave than either of us had planned. These guys were great and Dave thought it was fantastic. It was so much fun!

So clean once again, relatively speaking, Dave and I parted ways although we would keep bumping into each other all through the day. On my way back to the bog I passed the young men I had had my photo taken with previously. They invited me over and offered me a beer. Sure. One of them pulled a can out of the bottom of the cooler in the back of his truck and said it was the coldest he had. Really nice guys. I would keep bumping into them throughout the day as well. One actually went swimming in the mud later as well, but not with me.

Back at the bog a crowd had finally gathered. There were four of these tall, spidery vehicles attempting to "run the bog". The first one gets stuck. Second one goes out to pull him out and also gets stuck. Then the third one goes out and also gets stuck. Finally the fourth one goes out and all four of them are lined up like cars on a train and eventually they start moving until everybody is pulled out to the cheers of the crowd.

Enter Joe. Joe is another photographer but he has a video camera and I saw him earlier at the parade as well. He has come to capture some of the action. So I am starting to get hot again and do another swim in the bog to the delight of the crowd and Joe films it. As I emerge from the mud Eddy, one of my "fans" I had talked to earlier runs over calling my name and offers me something to eat. My hands are covered with mud so he hand feeds me Doritos out of the bag. He sends his buddy to fetch me a gatorade which is greatly appreciated. Joe walks over to chat with his camera and starts asking me questions. He too is making a documentary and has a youtube sight and the video will be posted there eventually. He asks what it feels like and why I do it and a bunch of other things and explain as best I can but said you actually have to try it yourself to understand. Then Dave comes by and tells me about a second bog. WHAT?!! Yup, right down the road past the wash up area. Turns out that's where all the activity was going on earlier in the morning. I have to check this out.

So the second bog is new and recently constructed by the event organizers who have diligently been working to expand and improve the venue. It's a large area, fairly flat, with several different routes and variations you can take. Mud is creamier but tons of people going through it at high speeds. Not exactly safe to wallow ion the mud there although the guy who gave me the beer had been swimming there in his jeans and workboots. He had put on a clean shirt though when I saw him. I did eventually get in some really nice mud there when things had quieted down in a little side area where there was no traffic but it was a very popular place and the vehicles were really whizzing through. They actually had a security guard posted there at the entrance trying to enforce the rules. Anyone in a truck had to be wearing a seat belt and anyone on an atv had to have a helmet.
There were a lot of infractions and the poor guy was taking a lot of flack from the drivers. With the expansion and improvement's have come more rules and regulations and this is also cutting back on some of the participation as the venue owners are trying to cut back on the wild partying and make things safer and more family oriented.

I returned to the original bog where the guys in the spider vehicles were still attempting to get across. One of them thought he could get better traction by putting one set of wheels up on the dry banking. Unfortunately it flipped over on its side in chest deep mud. The driver and his girlfriend emerged unscathed, but it took some time to get it righted and pulled out. Then the driver discovered that during the flip the key had fallen out of the ignition and he went back out in the chest deep mud to try and find it. Of course it was hopeless but he had to try. I told the people with him that ten thousand years from now some archeologist will dig them up and wonder how they got there.

It was a great day - I went in the mud three times, met some great people, and wound up staying much longer than I had planned. Dave will email me pictures he took and I will have to look for Joe's video on youtube. Will try to let people know when it comes up if I can find it. It was truly the best day in the mud!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Mud Pit ] [ FAQ ]