Page banner image

Re: cooling off in the mesquite swamp

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Mud Pit ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Zonie on August 15, 2021 at 19:04:42

In Reply to: Re: cooling off in the mesquite swamp posted by Wetnboy on August 15, 2021 at 16:32:02:

Well our water bill also includes sewer and garbage service. It's not as bad in the winter. Sometimes it's under $100. A lot of people save money by xeriscaping, but my mother must have her green lawn and keep her grapefruit tree alive. Then there's keeping the swimming pool filled. Afternoon temperatures above 110°F coupled with low humidity results in rapid evaporation, so the swimming pool is a major contributor to the bill.

Water management has always been a contentious issue here. When I was growing up in the 1970's, 90% of our water went to agriculture and the rest to urban use. Now it's nearly reversed, and the farmers are being squeezed out of the market. Orange groves and cotton fields have been displaced by subdivisions as the area's growth continues, and irrigation water becomes prohibitively expensive. It's not as if the authorities haven't been planning ahead. The Central Arizona Project Canal took 22 years to build. It started in 1968. By 1986 it was bringing water to Phoenix all the way from the Colorado River, and by 1990 it reached Tucson, its final destination. Still it's not enough for the demand and growth. This is a strange place to have the fifth largest city in the USA.

I was hoping to be in a downpour last night, as I had a demonstration to attend, but we had only a few drops. We're expecting more rain Tuesday and Wednesday though.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Mud Pit ] [ FAQ ]